Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Guatemala Trip Day 2.

I woke up at 7 AM today. That's the earliest I've been awake without anyone having to wake me up. I wasn't even tired when I woke up. I was actually hungry. The kitchen was closed at that time though, so I just went back to bed. I slept til 11, woke up, had plaintains and freshly made cheese. It was delicious. After breakfast I lurked around the house for a bit and after a while we walked to my Grandpa's farm. We picked mangos from his tree and ate them right there. How many people can say they ate a mango they picked from their tree? It was awesome.

I had my first cold shower in about 9 years today. It was also my shortest shower in about 9 years. To get hot water here, we have to heat it up on the stove. I was tired and hot from walking, so I just took a cold shower. It was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. It was a cold that was appreciated after the long walk. In the morning, I think that would be a different story. After showering and lunch, my grandpa gave me fresh sugar cane to munch on. Delicious.

The anorexic looking dog I saw yesterday, is not as anorexic as I thought. She just had puppies and is thin, but probably not so much from starvation. She's probably thin from giving the food she gets to her puppies. Her puppies are all fat and round and adorable. She had 8 puppies, 3 were given away and now she's left with 5.

Before I came out, I was warned not to touch any dogs unless I wanted to get bit. Dogs here are very different from dogs back home. If you try to touch a dog when it's eating here, be prepared to get your hand bit off. Dogs here aren't really cared for the way they are back home either. Its rare to see a dog that's not skin and bones here. All dogs here are skinny and most of them live on the side of the streets. Most of them have owners, but all the owners do is feed them every once in a while. They don't really go in houses.

Tomorrow we're waking up really early and going 3 hours away to the coast where my aunt used to live. Apparently it's going to be ridiculously hot.  I can't wait. I love the beach. I didn't bring a bathing suit though, so we have a dilemma there.

 I get to hang out with these monkeys again.

Puppies

 Sleepy puppies.

This guys bark is bigger than his bite. He ran away when I got close.

No comments:

Post a Comment