Monday, September 5, 2011

Wrestling Again

Its starting to be that time of year again, when the only thing I can think about is wrestling. It starts soon. I can't wait! I think it's super weird trying to wrestle out here, because its always hot. I used to have a long 2 hour practice where I'd end up drenched in sweat and then go out into the snow in shorts and a hoodie and being able to cool down. Now I'm going to have to get used to being all sweaty and getting even sweatier when I go outside. They have a club out here and the kids are really good. I went to a couple practices last spring and had a blast.

I was looking through my phone the other day and found a whole bunch of pictures and videos a little kid took. The kid's name is Raynger. After finishing high school, I would still go to wrestling practice, only this time it was with kids much younger than me. I used to help out at the middle school and would give him and his little brother rides home everyday after practice. Everyday they would steal my phone and car keys. Those kids are one of the things I miss the most about living in Utah. Everyday I woke up looking foward to going to the middle school wrestling practices after I got out of school. Every Friday night I'd go to sleep super excited about waking up super early the next morning to go to a wrestling tournament.
We all had turns at shaving Coach Doug's head after the middle school team placed at state.

Raynger stole my phone and took random videos all the time. You can't tell it's me, but I am the person on the far left. Raynger's little brother Blayze is on my shoulders. All these kids are amazing wrestlers. Raynger and Blayze have been state champs. Tre, the kid on the right, has also been a state champ. It's insane to think that in a few year these kids will be all grown up, graduating high school, maybe wrestling in college, maybe even wrestling in the olympics. Who knows?


Raynger took this one too. This was my freshman year in college. The kid I'm wrestling is Flynt, Raynger and Blayze's older brother. This was after the regular season was over, before freestyle season began. Flynt was a senior that year and took second in state. I always wore at least two t-shirts, one long sleeve and one short sleeve, and a hoodie for wrestling practice. I think that year I was trying to drop to 95. I made it to 98, but couldn't get any lower. I got sick trying to lose the weight and ended up not competing at all that spring. It sucked alot.

Just so you know, I didn't get pinned.

I used to watch David Taylor wrestle when I was in high school. He was and is still an amazing wrestler. This is a pretty old video. This was his sophmore year in high school and now he's a sophmore wrestling at Penn State. It's insane how fast time goes by.


No comments:

Post a Comment